Unordered List

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday 26 January 2014

Vintage french typography tray re-do!!!

I bought this tray from local Restore, their mission is to mobilize volunteers and partners in building affordable housing and promoting homeownership as a means to breaking the cycle of poverty. You can check them out here. So people donate things they don't need to this store, the store sells it and uses the money for their mission.
The tray I found cost me 1$ (!). Unfortunately I don't have "before"  picture, but it was blue with some corn picture attached inside. The tray perhaps was only for decoration purposes. It is rather small for anything else.
First I painted it with white acrylic paint from dollar store (this store is awesome for crafters).
Than goes the most interesting part. Since I am in love with vintage french graphics, I'm attaching it everywhere I can, so this tray was the first thing representing this style.
To do this you'll need:
  • Mod Podge (cool thing you never heard before of , unless you are crafter)
  • Laser printer
  • Image you want to transfer
  • Finger (your own preferably)
  • Brush
  • Patience
Here is the finished product to keep you motivated :)

 I took the graphic from the Graphics Fairy, you can find the link to this absolutely must know site on the right side of the blog, right under "about me" column.
To transfer it you need to print it flipped horizontally. Here is the image



After printing, cut it out as close to the image as possible, than apply mod podge right on the front side of the image, don't use too much of it. Than glue it right where you want the image on the tray.
Now wait overnight (I heard it's ready in couple of hours, but never tried it myself, I waited overnight).
When it is dry, moist a paper a little bit, but don't allow it to be really wet. Than use your finger to roll the paper out of image, don't rub too hard or you can damage the graphic. If you can't rub it all at once, wait when the paper dry again, and than moist it back and repeat rubbing until there is no paper left. That's it. Next time I do a transfer I'll post step by step pictures. I'd say this time it's an introduction to Mod Podge transfers :)

Look what my husband USES this piece of fine art for:


...but it's ok, I am putting up with it for a week, just because he says I buy useless things...and now he will get a feeling this tray is absolutely functional. IT IS HOLDING broken door bell :)


Thanks for coming by! Comments are so appreciated!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment